5.3.11

Using Online Resources to Teach Yourself German


Like it has been said before, I have a two month ‘Spring Break’ here in German right now. During this time, I have not only been planning travel and catching up on American television, but teaching myself more German. It’s been a struggle of course because it takes a lot of willpower to want to dedicated three hours or so of your own free time towards the goal, but well worth it. Through my online journey of teaching myself (I also have a copy of Rosetta Stone level one but don’t use it often) I have found a treasure of resources I’d like to share for fellow German learners.

Don’t be afraid to boost your language skills before going off on your study abroad trip! It bumped myself from a A level at the end of my German 1 class (which means I learned nothing: eek!) to a stand A2/B1 level upon arrival into Germany. It’s a pretty progressive skill level change to make alone.
So here are my favorite German resources to learn online:

#1 SUB, DO and IO YouTube video ARGH! Akkusativ or Dativ?????? How many times as you learn German have you pondered this? It was a huge problem in my first German class here in Germany and although I still struggle sometimes, it’s a smaller problem now. When having troubles I like to refer to this hilarious YouTube video. Plus, can you imagine having this guy as your German teacher? So. much. fun.
#2 Tekamolo blog page Yes, this a a page based only on TE KA MO LO. I haven’t even explored the rest of the site yet. This is a great place to keep you acquainted with the base of every German sentence. Memorize this and you will always have a structurally correct sentence.

#3 Deutsche-Welle This website is made to help you learn German, and it excels. Take a look through the German ‘television shows’ they have produced to keep your speech recognition and translations in check. This site is really filled with a variety of interesting tidbits on how to increase your German knowledge.
#4 Paul Joyce German Course Having trouble remember each table for German verbs!? Me too! This website has a ton of helpful examples and a homestay when I have trouble. If you don’t have the money or extreme need to go out and buy 501 German Verbs, this website can be the solution.

#4 Paul Joyce German Course Having trouble remember each table for German verbs!? Me too! This website has a ton of helpful examples and a homestay when I have trouble. If you don’t have the money or extreme need to go out and buy 501 German Verbs, this website can be the solution.

Have you ever taught yourself something?

No comments:

Post a Comment