30.8.10

Music Monday: Sufjan!? Oh thank god you're back I've missed you!

there is a story behind the name if you explore
It couldn't be true. Sufjan Stevens was back not only with an EP but a track of his newest album debuting this October. It he was going on *gulp* tour? Something he ever rarely and spontaneously does. I don't know why I am saying this but I figured I'd get it off my chest. I wish he hadn't premiered it this year. I am in Germany and he is in America and going on tour in a bunch of cities I could get my hands on if I was in California. And, he never does international tours that I have heard of. Sad.

I still remember happening upon 'That Dress Looks Nice on You" when I was about 13. I thought it was the most beautiful song I had ever heard and fast forward two years while working at Panera I hopped across the lot and purchased all of his albums (including a jumbo xmas album) at Best Buy after my first check. Years go by and he still remains at the top of my ipod, internet and etc. Hmph. Guess it wasn't meant to be.

In better news the EP and single from his forthcoming album, The Age of Adz are deliciously emotional and cannot be thoroughly enjoyed with multiple plays. Pinky promise you'll listen to 'All the Delighted People' again even though this single came out way back when. And also take your pinky out and listen to both 'The Owl and the Tanager' from the EP and 'I Walked' from the new album. Disappointment doesn't even touch a key of any of these tunes.

Listening to 'The Owl and The Tanager' has even left me strictly contemplating life and all these new and extraordinary people I have met here. It's a sad song but a must listen. Admitting that the first listen didn't end in a repeat performance, upon further investigation into the lyrics and the chill of it all, I was taken aback. Soak these lyrics in please:
How could you run from me now?
The loneliest chime in the house
The loneliest chime in the house
You let it out you let it out
Come to me Calvary still
I’m weeding and raking until
I’m bleeding in spite of my love for you
It bruised and bruised my will 

wow. But if it's not the right time for you (I kind of lean toward sadder songs no matter what) check out 'I Walked' first. All of these songs (and almost all of Sufjan Stevens' catalog) are open to listen to in entirety at BandCamp (FOR FREE!) It even has a link to preorder his new album (haha already done for me!) if you wish.

In restless dreams I walked alone I walked alive
The clouded out disguises left me in a dream of lightness
All delighted people raise their hands 

No comments:

Post a Comment