21.6.10

Music Monday: The Smiths

I wasn't born a Smiths fan. Very often, I will bring them up in conversation and 'la dee da' like I've been listening to them since way back when. Wrong. In fact, the first listening experience to The Smiths was while watching "The History Boys." That movie is terribly good by the way, especially with a pre-over-anxiously famed Dominic Cooper (you're welcome.) Also, it has Andrew Knott in it, who happened to play the stable boy Dickon in The Secret Garden! Love. Love. Love.
Anywho, the point of that was that the movie introduced me to The Smiths by way of the song, "This Charming Man." The second it played I was on a search to find out who was singing and how to listen to more, that was in 2006 I believe.
The Smiths, although now broken-up are better known as "that awesome band Morrissey was in." Kidding. But he would love that reference wouldn't he? Their lyrics are so tragically funny they make my heart ache like:

How can you stay with a fat girl who'll say :
"Oh ! Would you like to marry me ?
"And if you like you can buy the ring"
She doesn't care about anything 
 or better yet

Sweetness, sweetness I was only joking
When I said I'd like to smash every tooth
In your head

Oh ... sweetness, sweetness, I was only joking
When I said by rights you should be
Bludgeoned in your bed
and the topper:
Girlfriend in a coma, I know
I know - it's serious
Girlfriend in a coma, I know
I know - it's really serious

There were times when I could
Have "murdered" her
(But you know, I would hate
Anything to happen to her)

  -"Girlfriend in a coma" 

Who comes up with these kinds of things?! Admittedly, I prance around the room theatrically singing "Morrissey style" while recreating the stories. It really sums up what The Smiths are to me: a fun, karaoke band that can always cheer me up or keep me down depending on my mood. They're just so damn catchy! And really, who doesn't love to watch Morrissey dramatically belt his classic tunes?

Word for today:
Prinz - prince               
Der Kleine Prinz
(The Little Prince) -currently reading!

3 comments:

  1. A lot of my friends are major Smiths fans and make references a lot too lol. ANYWHO, I am sooo glad that you stumbled upon my blog. Yes I do speak German :D It's my first language but I really need to practice more. Living in the states now makes it hard. Aber Ich muss mein Deutsch ueben!

    p.s. I read your about me and traveling is the same to me! I miss Germany soo much especially :\ I've been watching the World Cup and it's made my yearning to travel internationally even stronger. Oof!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! My dad speaks fluent German due to his army days and so I'm really excited to study in Germany and learn it too. One of my journalism teachers speaks it and so every now and learn I am able to get a good lesson in, but it doesn't match the teaching of international travel!

    And haha I have been watching the world cup too and excited they are doing so well.

    P!S! I've been a silent reader of your blog for a while and just love it. Your life always looks sehr putzig! (lol I think that's the correct word for cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D Well I'm glad that you are no longer a silent reader lol.

    You should find out if there's a German restaurant near you and if they have any social events. Some places have stammtisch nights. Basically a group of people will go and socialize over yummy food at a big table :) I bet you would find some chances to practice there! But I totally agree with you. Nothing matches actually living there. You are 100% immersed in the language and culture.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete